What's It All About

Tuesday, December 30, 2014

How to Make an Unique Gift Wrapping - a Homemade Pillowcase!!!!

At The Scrapbook Blessings Club I want to share with you not only a super easy sewing project to make for Christmas gifts but also to make for various organizations that are looking for pillowcases to be donated to children in need. I know when I had left my first husband, my daughter received her very own pillowcase from a quilting organization at the Woman's Abuse Shelter. Since then, the Quilt Guild I belong to collects them along with a local quilt store.

Since that time, I have made special pillowcases for Jen which came especially handy when there would be "sleep-overs" as not to get her pillow confused with others BUT also a great wrapping instrument for gifts.  I now make them for Lily and this is her "special" pillowcase that I made to put her Christmas presents in this year.



Supplies:
  • 3/4 yard main fabric
  • 1/4 yard contrast fabric for cuff 


  • trim the salvage away on both the main fabric and the cuff fabric 
TIP: at the same time make sure the width of the fabric is the same as not all fabrics are the same width

TIP: I use my cutting mat, ruler and rotary cutter to trim
  • to make this a little more special, I embroidered "Lily's" name on the cuff 


TIP: to find the center of the one side of the cuff, less seam allowance, use your iron to mark the center
TIP: to embroider the name in the right direction the raw edge is at the top of your hoop with 2 layers of a tear-away stabilizer 

  • a complimentary thread was used to embroider her name 
  • tear away the excess stabilizer and press to remove any wrinkles
  • with right sides together with the main fabric sew along the bottom of the case and along the one side using a 1/4-inch seam allowance, if you have a serger available, serge the raw edges to avoid any unraveling  


  • turn to the right side and at which point I press to set the seam 
  • stitch 1/4-inch seam on cuff to make a circle and press seam open
  • press under 3/8-inch of the cuff which is used to top-stitch cuff 


  • pin wrong side of main fabric to right side of cuff (NOTE: not the side you had pressed the 3/8-inch) and sew in 1/4-inch seam allowance 


  • turn cuff to the right side and top-stitch the cuff to the right side of the case 
  • VIOLA, you have now made your very first pillowcase which I'm sure will be one of many!!!!! 


Thanks for stopping by today and hope you want to try making these also!

I appreciate and love reading your comments . . is your comment the next one I read??? 

Much love, hugs, and friendship
Lynne 

this was entered in the following challenges:

Miriam's Crafting Blog's 19th Monthly Challenge: Handmade Gifts

1 comment:

  1. This is so sweet and what a great idea to use it as gift wrapping as well!

    ReplyDelete

I love love love to hear what you think about my projects and would love to read your thoughts and inspirations.. Thank you for leaving a comment as I read each and everyone and thank you for taking the time to visit. Much love, hugs, and friendship
Lynne
aka Her Craftiness