What's It All About

Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Thanksgiving Memories

Lucky me --- I'm Kari's Guest Designer today at http://purplefuntastickcreations.blogspot.com/ and thought I would be reminiscent of my youth and hopefully not bore you - 


For my project today, I am showing a little wallhanging that I hang in my dining room to  remind me of how thankful I am! The pattern that was used is "Such an Angel" by Nancy Halverson. I just love how it hangs at an angle with the use of a pumpkin button with the little heart shaped hook!

For my Bible verse, I have chosen: Psalm 107:1  Give thanks to the Lord, for he is good; his love endures forever. 





When I was growing up, all of my wonderful memories of Thanksgiving begin with my grandparents, John and Molly Brenckle. Now, they are the most wonderful inspiration couple that endured a blessed life together. I was basically raised by my grandparents and witnessed not only their love for each other but their love for Jesus. Now, Pap granted he would go in his little tyrants and say how he felt about the preacher. But Gram on the other hand, was a sweet, loving, Christian who taught me the love of Jesus. For this I am very very thankful.



The picture above is of me and my Pap . . . I always looked up to him and I was his langa beine leibschen (long legged lovely). 

I want to tell you a bit about Gram . . . a lot of my memories center around the dining room table. Gram of course was the best cook but she always made enough food for just one more. Her reasoning was that if Jesus would knock at the door, there was always a place for him to sit at her table along with food to serve him. I guess, I have incorporated that with my cooking -- but at times, Jesus can bring a whole army with him with the amount of extra food that I have prepared!

We didn't have the traditional Thanksgiving dinner of turkey, stuffing, sweet potatoes and such but we were proud to call a German Thanksgiving dinner with roast beef, or as Pap would say roasta beef, of course gravy and then the most delectable potato dumpling that would have buttery fried bread crumbs in the center and rolled into a snowball and boiled in water which were called Kartoffelkloesse. My mouth is watering now but the best part would be the following day where Gram would slice them and then brown them in butter! Alright, there went an extra 10 pounds on the scale!!!!

Thanksgiving to me is memories of my wonderful grandparents. I thank God for their love and that they instilled in me the path in life. The wonderful smells of the kitchen, my grandmother always showing her love and faith with her delectable German food . . . these are the things that instill the importance of family with warm memories. Thank you Gram and Pap . . . I still have the table ready for Jesus if he would come knocking as you had taught. Much love and miss you both!


Thanks Kari for giving letting me be you Guest Designer as I most definitely consider it a priviledge especially this time of the year as it brings back those warm fuzzy holiday memory feelings!

God Bless
Hugs and Love,
Lynne

4 comments:

  1. What a beautiful wall hanging and thank you for sharing your memories with us. Happy Thanksgiving :)

    Happy Scrappin'

    Sue B
    http://susanascorner.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you make your little wall hanging? It is lovely and your memories even lovelier. I hope that someday my children and grandchildren will have as fond of memories as yours. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wish I had great memories like that! I don't even have a pic of my grands. Sigh Lovely quilt!

    Michelle F.

    ReplyDelete

I love love love to hear what you think about my projects and would love to read your thoughts and inspirations.. Thank you for leaving a comment as I read each and everyone and thank you for taking the time to visit. Much love, hugs, and friendship
Lynne
aka Her Craftiness